Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Methods 1 & 2

Library 2.0 and Web 2.0

Hmmm.... I'm somewhere close to 2.o already, having tried (and decided I didn't care for) 2nd life, having 2 wikis of my own that I use daily, and maintaining both a blog and a facebook page for the Library.

I enjoy maintaining my wikis, and they've done well for me outside the library. We did have a staff wiki, but unfortunately a combination of lack of motivation to use it on the staff's side, and a change in policy by our city IT department, led to its abandonment.

I have hopes that in the future I'll be able to re-establish the wiki, as our staff grow more comfortable with the idea of such technology.

Right now, my next dream is to have a way for library patrons to interact with library materials online; posting reviews, tagging books and other library materials, etc... I know such tools are available, and we've looked into a few, but we're in the process of considering an upgrade from our current (outdated) library automation system. It wouldn't do to spend funds on a system or product that won't work in a year or three. So of course, we wait...

We do a few borderline 2.o things for our patrons now - we just started notifying patrons of holds and overdues by email this year. We do have the teen weblog, and the facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment